I had a lovely Saturday visiting my sister for coffee, chats and baking. We made the most deliciously awesome chocolate lime macaroons. Based on the yummy sweets from our childhood – chocolate limes. And I have to say these tasted even more scrumptious than we remembered the sweets. The zing of lime, velvet chocolate and sweetness of sugary macaroons all perfectly compliment. And these delicate little biscuit/sweets are gluten-free so I can indulge all day (well lets forget about the waist-line).
These photo’s are a bit dark as it was early evening when we finished baking and none made it to the light of day, getting eagerly devoured by our family 🙂 .
Brief How-to recreate Chocolate Lime Macaroons:
To your favourite french-macaroon base add the zest of a lime and a few drops of green food colouring. We followed a recipe similar to this one on the BBC to bake our macaroons.
For the filling melt the best dark chocolate you can afford (at least 70% cocoa) and add it to buttercream. This is a great recipe for chocolate buttercream:
Sandwich macaroons together and enjoy munching.
Freeform Bag WIP
I finally have joined in a CAL on Ravelry after eyeing them for so long. This one is for a free-form bag. Something I have wanted to make for a while. I’m hoping I can get lots of tips whilst I tackle this new challenge. It’s rather daunting to jump into a world full of scrumbles, randomness and independent crochet.
I’ve started by picking out my yarn. A mix of ends left over from other projects in shades of pinks, purples and reds. Following from the technique from the mod I’ve started by crocheting the same little crochet pieces in different yarn. I’d like it to be a mix of flower shapes. So far I have a circle flower shape (chain 5, R1 dc and R2 dc, 2dc, repeat) a triangular flower, (magic loop, 10sc. Row 1: dc and tc in same stitch, tc and dc in same stitch, sc, repeat), a leaf shape (2 segments of Lazy J, from the complete photo guide to crochet p193), 1 spirally shape which has bullion stitches, and one rectangle sample (various stitches) which I have done twice and joined together. I had to pull out the joins a few times after realising I’d sewn stuff on backwards, got myself tangled in stitches and yarn and wondered what the heck I have got myself into with all the ends I need to weave in. But it’s a start!!!!
First selection of yarn.
First 2 scrumble patches….I’ve already added in another ball of red and purple yarn to the selection.